3MT - Three Minute Thesis
In March of 2020, College Heats for the 3MT® competition were held and shortly after, challenges resulting from COVID-19 caused a postponement of campus finals. With great effort from the student participants and keen collaboration from our panel of judges, we were able to host the campus finals event online!
The results are in! Congratulations to the winners of the University of Guelph 3MT® 2020 finals. Thank you to all those who participated! Videos of the winning finalists are linked below. Find a complete list of finalist videos here.
People's Choice Award
How to Register
1) Complete the 3MT Registration and Participation Waiver Form
2) Email the completed form to your college's 3MT Coordinator
3) Begin planning your 3MT presentation!
Tips, Advice & Resources
- To participate in 3MT® students must currently be registered in a Masters (thesis or MRP only) or PhD program at the University of Guelph and have made substantial progress on their research and analysis.
- PhD and Masters students who have defended but have not yet graduated are eligible to participate.
- Presentations must be based on research that is directly related to the student’s graduate program thesis.
- Presenters must agree to be video-taped
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration).
- No additional electronic media are permitted (e.g. sound and video files).
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (eg. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations must be made by memory; notes may not be used.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
|CEPS||March 3, 2020||10 am - noon||
|Lang||March 4, 2020||2:30 - 4:30 pm||
|CSAHS||March 6, 2020||10 am - noon||
|OVC||March 9, 2020||10 am - noon||
|CBS||March 11, 2020||9:30 am||
|OAC||March 12, 2020||10:30 am - 1:30 pm||
|COA||March 16, 2020||10 am – noon||
University of Guelph Final Competition
|2020 Virtual competition concluded. Watch the presentations.|
The winner of the University of Guelph 3MT® competition will move on to represent the University at the Provincial Competition hosted by the University of Windsor is now postponed.
Past U of G Winners