Dispute Resolution Process | Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies

Dispute Resolution Process

Unionized Members

The Collective Agreement, in part, is to ensure the prompt and peaceful resolution of disputes and grievances, and to set forth an agreement on the terms and conditions of employment. Disputes are encouraged to be resolved by informal, timely discussion, and can include assistance of Union representative if you so wish. If this may give rise to a grievance, or you would like more information on the process and expectation on the Informal, Final, and Grievance Procedures, please reference Article 16 of the Collective Agreement. 

Non-Unionized Members

It is the policy of the University to resolve Postdoctoral Scholar (PDS) problems, concerns and disagreements quickly and fairly. The purpose of the following process is to provide an orderly and standard administrative process by which PDSs may seek resolution of differences that may arise concerning terms and conditions of employment and other work-related matters.

Nothing in this process prevents a PDS from discussing problems, personal or work-related, with supervisors.


This process is not designed to address human rights, workplace harassment or workplace violence complaints.

Human Rights complaints should be made through the Office of Diversity and Human Rights in accordance with the University’s Human Rights Policy.

Workplace harassment or violence complaints should be made to Occupational Health and Wellness in accordance with the University’s Workplace Harassment Prevention Policy and Workplace Violence Prevention Policy.