The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is working to ensure that existing and incoming graduate students, and applicants stay informed of the University’s response to the evolving global impact of COVID-19. The University is continuing to update our COVID-19 page with recent information, answers to FAQs and other resources.
Existing Students: see UPDATE FROM THE AVP GRADUATE STUDIES. For international students with questions relating to your study permit, please connect with your international student advisor; if you have gone abroad or intend to go abroad, and you have new immigration or travel concerns, please consult with your international student advisor.
Incoming Graduate Students: Students expecting to start summer'20 should have received an email outlining your options; if not, please email us. Students expecting to start fall'20 should count on doing so, at least until told otherwise. If you have questions or concerns about meeting the conditions on your offer letters, please email us.
Applicants: We continue to process applicants and issue of offers of admission.
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is committed to supporting our students. We will work with you to ensure minimized disruption for all current and incoming students.
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies formally acknowledges the key role played by postdocs in achieving the goal of increasing the quality and excellence of research and scholarship at the University of Guelph.
What is a Postdoctoral Fellow?
The University defines a Postdoctoral Fellow as someone who has recently completed their doctoral degree (within 5 years), working under the supervision of a faculty mentor, will have an appointment (of up to 3 years) that is focused on research and scholarship as preparation for a full-time academic or research career, being encouraged and expected to publish the results of their independent research.
What You Can Expect:
- Associated with a Faculty Mentor
- Defined Goals and Expectations
- Sufficient safe lab/office space, and access to research facilities and/or necessary resources/equipment
- Recognition for your contributions at a world class institution
- Mentoring of research training and in preparation for career opportunities
- Participation in Research Group and Departmental academic activities (ie. Seminars, Scientific meetings, Career Opportunities)
- Effective and Supportive mentoring, involving frequent, clear and open communication with the intention of informal and continual coaching
- Access to University Services
Our Expectations of You:
- Be collegial and cooperative in your work with your faculty mentor and co-workers
- Assume responsibility of your research and career development
- Fulfill the duties in your offer of appointment
- Familiarization of all University policies and the governing research conduct