Are you considering graduate studies at the University of Guelph?
The University of Guelph is #1 in Canada for overall Student Satisfaction! (Maclean's 2020) Given these crazy times we're living in, knowing our students rank us first in the country is huge!
We're recognized annually as one of Canada's top comprehensive universities by various ranking organizations and our own U of G students. Check out our other rankings below.
Best Global Universities
The U.S. News bases their rankings on a school's academic research and reputation, and allows students to compare universities around the world. U of G ranks:
- Top 18 in Canada and Top 425 in the World
- #1 in Canada and #12 in the World for Agricultural Science
- #2 in Canada and #44 in the World for Plant & Animal Science
- #5 in Canada and #99 in the World in the field of Environment/Ecology
These rankings are based on our research performance and ratings by members of the academic community around the world and within North America.
We are Canada's Food University! The Federal Government funded the University of Guelph $76.6 million to start a "digital revolution" in food and agriculture, which will position U of G as a leader in sustainable food production. Being ranked #1 in Canada for Agricultural Science is a testament to our commitment to using science, ingenuity, and passion for plants, animals and the land.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings provide the definitive list of the world's best universities.
U of G has been ranked as one of the World's top 600 universities! This ranking is based on U of G's strengths in teaching, international outlook, industry income, research and citations.
QS World University Rankings
QS Stars University Rankings looks at everything that a university might offer; facilities, student engagement, employability, innovation, and awards universities between one and five stars.
U of G has been given a 5-star ranking across the 8 categories:
- Specialist Criteria
- Employability of Graduates
To get this ranking, a university must be world-class in a broad range of areas and have an excellent reputation, internationally known faculty and researchers, and state-of-the-art facilities. The survey was produced by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), and focuses on factors such as overall research impact and academic and institutional reputation.
Overall, the University of Guelph ranks Top 20 in Canada and Top 600 in the World based on the QS World University survey rankings.
Academic Ranking of World Universities
ARWU uses six objective indicators to rank world universities, including:
- the number of alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals;
- number of highly cited researchers selected by Thomson Reuters;
- number of articles published in journals of Nature and Science;
- number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index - Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index;
- and per capita performance of a university.
More than 1200 universities are actually ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 are published.
In 2020, U of G ranks in the Top 400 in the World and Top 15 in Canada.
Maclean's assesses universities on several key points, allocating a weight to each. Universities are ranked on performance indicators in five broad areas:
- Students: student awards, student/faculty ratio, and student satisfaction;
- Faculty: faculty awards, social science/humanities grants, medical/science grants, and citations;
- Resources: total research dollars, operating budget, library expenses, and library acquisitions;
- Student Support: scholarships & bursaries and student services;
- Reputation: quality and innovation.
In 2020, U of G ranked #1 for Student Satisfaction among Canada's comprehensive universities! To read through the full rankings, check out the 2020 Maclean's University Rankings report.