The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is Responsible for providing terms & conditions, procedures and guidance for Postdoctoral Scholars, Faculty Mentors and Academic Units. This includes oversight of the appointment process, reporting, coordination and management of services available to postdocs and monitoring of compliance with related to term limits, eligibility requirements, and procedures related to the appointment.
Effective July 1st, 2018
As you are aware, the University has developed new minimum terms and conditions of employment for internally funded Postdoctoral Fellows (PDFs). New template appointment letters and the PDF Appointment Form is now required for all PDF appointments starting July 1, 2018 or later.
Changes to the minimum vacation entitlement will take effect retroactive to January 1, 2018. The revised minimum vacation entitlement for PDF employees is:
- 1.25 days per month of service (15 days per year) from the start date to the beginning of the calendar year in which the employee completes 2 years of service; and,
- 1.83 days per month of service (22 days per year) in subsequent years.
Departments should notify PDFs of this change and provide an updated statement of vacation entitlement. PDFs whose individual employment contracts provide benefits which exceed those outlined in the new minimums cannot have their entitlements reduced because of these changes.
Eligibility and Term Limits
Term limits and rules governing eligibility for PDF appointments will take effect July 1, 2018 for new PDF appointments. For existing PDF appointments, the following will apply:
- For PDFs with contracts ending between July 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018 who have exceeded three years of service as a PDF with the University, extensions of up to one year will be approved by OGPS.
- For PDFs with contracts ending on or after January 1, 2019 who have exceeded three years of service as a PDF with the University, no further extensions will be permitted.
Provisions regarding time from PhD as it impacts eligibility for appointments do apply to individuals currently appointed to PDF positions.
Effective July 1, 2018, the following will be the points of contact for PDF issues.
Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
email@example.com or x58277
- General inquiries from departments or PDFs.
- Approval of appointments for PDFs.
- Posting of PDF positions.
- Individual development plans.
Faculty and Academic Staff Relations
firstname.lastname@example.org or x53378
- Employee relations including performance evaluation and management.
email@example.com or x53374
- Pay, benefit and pension inquiries.