What We Do
Below is an overview of the services and support offered by the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies.
Recruitment & Admissions Support
The recruitment and admissions division provides knowledge, expertise and support to academic departments in the following areas:
- Best practices and tools related to the recruitment of graduate students.
- Oversight and management of the graduate admissions process.
- Support for applicants, faculty and administrators on admissions policies and procedures.
- Credential evaluation (Domestic and International) Academic change and Governance The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies oversees all graduate programs at the University of Guelph.
- Approval of Advance Standing credits
Records & Support For Current Students
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is responsible for managing the maintenance and upkeep of the graduate student file from the point of acceptance of admission through to graduation and the closing of the student file. This includes but is not limited to the following functions:
- Management of Maximum Registration Policy
- Advisory Committee Review
- Coordination of Letter of Permission, Exchange Agreements, Mobility Agreements, Leaves of Absence and Required to Withdraw
- Oversight of changes from part-time to full-time status and registration blocks.
- Program transfer
- Records reporting
- Thesis support
- Training and support for the Student Information System
- Approval of Transfer Credits
Scholarships & Awards
Scholarships personnel liaise with national, provincial, and private granting agencies in order to inform students and faculty of awards opportunities that are external to the university. They advise students and faculty of the appropriate procedures, sources of support, and eligibility requirements in seeking financial support and aid from external as well as internal sources. The scholarships personnel also provide process and support for the evaluation, processing and selection of designated university-wide and external graduate scholarship applications and winners.
Academic Change & Governance
The Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies, under the direction of the Assistant Vice-President (Graduate Studies), oversees the curriculum development and change processes for the University's graduate degree and diploma programs. We provide guidance and support in the creation of new courses and programs, renewal of existing curricula, and program closures. Units are strongly advised to contact the Manager, Graduate Curriculum at the outset of curriculum proposal development.
Councils & Committees
The Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies is involved in the management and/or participation of a number of committees including but not exclusive to:
- Graduate Council - membership includes the Associate Dean's Research and Graduate Studies (ADRs), Assistant VP Graduate Studies and Program Quality Assurance (GS & PQA) , Associate Dean Graduate Studies, staff from OGS.
- Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies Awards Committee - membership includes are variable dependent upon the scholarship but may include the Assistant VP GS & PQA, ADRs, graduate faculty, staff from OGS.
- Graduate Studies Late Appeals - membership includes graduate faculty, representation from the executive Graduate Student's Association (GSA) and staff from OGS.
- Board of Graduate Studies - membership is according the BGS guidelines.
- Admissions & Progress Committee - membership is according the BGS guidelines.
- Graduate Programs and Policies Committee - membership is according the BGS guidelines.
- Joint Editorial Awards Committee (JEAC) - membership is according the BGS guidelines.
Postdoctoral Resources & Support
The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is Responsible for providing documented policies, procedures and guidance for Postdoctoral Scholars, faculty mentors and academic units. This includes oversight of the appointment process, reporting on postdocs, coordination and management of services available to postdocs and monitoring of compliance with related to term limits, eligibility requirements, and procedure related to the appointment. OGPS sponsors the revision of policy and related procedures.
The OGPS works closely with technology providers at Guelph as well as academic departments to develop and deliver high-quality services and support to graduate students, faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars.