International and Out of Province Students | Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies

International and Out of Province Students

Whether you are starting a new life in a new country or moving here from another province, you will want to make links to various groups, clubs and organizations.   You might be an International Funded Student funded through an established agreement. 

Guelph International in the Student Experience Office offers many support services and you will want to be sure to connect with them.  They have also developed a handbook for students before they arrive in Canada, Get Prepared: re-Arrival Guide for International Students.

Health Insurance

It is mandatory for all international students to have the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).   If you have dependents, you should make sure that they are covered as well.

Immigration Advising

Do you have questions about study permits, visas, the ability to work on campus and many other areas?   Just link to the Student Experience Immigration Information website.

English Language Support

The library offers dedicated English language support.  You will also find other language support groups and services through the Office of Intercultural Affairs.

START International

 START International is a free orientation program for new international students (Grad and Undergrad), new permanent residents to Canada, new exchange students and out-of-country Canadians.  The program will introduce you to the campus environment, the resources available to aid in your social and academic transition, and what you can expect from your University of Guelph experience.  Attendance is highly recommended as the sessions will cover useful information on topics such as cultural adjustments, the Canadian university academic system, dressing for the seasons, health insurance and other support services that can help students make successful transitions.