LMIA Exempt Process | Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies

LMIA Exempt Process

The Office of Graduate Studies will process all "Offers of Employment" for incoming/extending postdoctoral fellows via the CIC Employer Portal including payment of the $230 compliance fee which will then be charged back to the academic unit (journal entry). Once the offer is submitted to the Employer Portal, you will then eligible to apply for a work permit using the confirmation number and proof of payment (which we will provide a copy of). 

The Offer of Employment referred to by CIC, is how they define the form we submit to them. This should not be confused with Employment Offer Letter that you will receive from the Department.

To begin the process, your supervisor or department admin will need to submit the LMIA Exemption Form for processing by OGPS. We will notify the academic unit once the form has been processed, and provide them the Offer of Employment confirmation number and proof of payment. The academic unit will then inform you and provide you with the required information so you may proceed with applying for a work permit. 

This method came into effect on October 26, 2015, when CIC introduced a new Employer Portal. Employers must submit offers of employment in LMIA exempt situations using the new system. The previous form, IMM5802 will no longer be accepted. 


Note: The Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies will process offers for incoming/extending postdocs only. All requests to submit offers for incoming visiting student researchers should be directed to human resources.