Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master's (CGS M) Program
The objective of the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS M) Program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies. The Tri-council allocates CGS M awards to universities specifying the number of awards that each may offer to their students annually. CGS M awards can only be offered to students pursuing graduate studies at eligible Canadian universities, and the award must be held at the university that has made the offer.
Value & Duration
$17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable
Copies of the slides presented at last year's information sessions for the 2019/20 CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC CGS Master's competitions may be found under the Tools and Resources tab. The 2020/21 presentation slides will be posted by the end of September 2019.
- December 2, 2019 8 p.m. Eastern – Application Deadline for CGS M (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) to the Research Portal
- April 1, 2020 – Universities will post competition results using Research Portal
- April 22, 2020 – Applicants must respond to offers of award; offers not accepted before this date will be deemed to have been declined
Please refer to the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Program website (currently housed on the NSERC website) for full details and eligibility.
- Applicants must complete and submit the online application using the Research Portal. Students should refer to the detailed, step-by-step CGS M application instructions for the answers to questions about the application process.
- Additionally, the Canadian Common CV (CCV) must be completed and the confirmation number uploaded to the CGS M application on the Research Portal.
- Up-to-date official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies should be included in the application. Students must obtain official transcripts (issued by the Registrar's Office or equivalent), open the transcripts, and then scan and upload PDF copies of all required transcripts.
- Applications will be reviewed and ranked by the applicant’s proposed or current academic department/school.
- The Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Awards Committee will review the applications and select those that will be offered a CGS M Award at the University of Guelph.
Contacts & Resources
If you have questions about the application process, please contact the Graduate Awards Officers by email email@example.com.