Letter of Permission | Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies

Letter of Permission

Guelph Graduate Students

Graduate students at the University of Guelph interested in attending an institution outside of Ontario must complete the Letter of Permission process. Students are required to complete the Letter of Permission Request form , agree to the terms and conditions, pay a $50 fee, and submit the completed document to the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies. 

Students from Another Institution Outside of Ontario

Applicants who are currently registered in a graduate degree program at a recognized institution outside of Ontario and who would like to complete course work at the University of Guelph for credit toward the degree at their home institution, should apply to attend Guelph on a "Letter of Permission".

Letter of Permission from your Institution

You need a letter of permission from your home institution. It is required that a letter be sent by the Office of the Registrar or the Office of the Dean specifying that the student is permitted to attend the University of Guelph to take courses relevant to the degree at the home institution. The letter must indicate that credit will be given for the work completed. It should also indicate the number of semesters the applicant is permitted to attend Guelph.

Contact the Program & Complete the Application Form

Contact the program for the course(s) of interest directly, to determine course eligibility, availability and approval. Once approved, a University of Guelph PDF application form must be completed and submitted. It should indicate in bold letters at the top that it is for "Letter of Permission". 

No Application Fee

An application fee is not required from Letter of Permission applicants.

Tuition Fee

Letter of Permission students are charged Non-Degree Fees based on the number of courses / credits taken. 


The program approval, application form, and "Letter of Permission" from the home institution should be completed and received no later than one month prior to the start of the incoming semester.


International Students

English language test results are not required, however it is recommended that applicants have a good knowledge of the English language.

Mail the complete package to the Graduate Program Assistant of the program

[Name of Program]
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
N1G 2W1